Why we don't eat out...


We went out to eat Sunday after church. We had not been out to eat for a while as a family so we were excited (or at least I was since that meant I didn't have to cook or clean) We went to a family style resteraunt in our town- a more elderly crowd usually frequents there, but the food is good so we figured why not?

Lydia, my two year old, is not very patient. She is also very loud at times when she doesn't get her way and it can be highly embarrassing. We have been known to evacuate resteraunts, libraries and other normally quiet establishments, rather than have to subject others to the deafening noises that her tiny lungs can produce; however, she is two now and can understand what she is not supposed to do, so we thought all would be fine. WRONG!

It all started when the waitress brought out the food and said "hot plate... be careful" and then proceeded to set the grilled cheese sandwich right in front of Lydia. I reached over and touched the plate and it was very hot. I think they may have cooked the grilled cheese on the plate, so my husband, worried that Lydia would get burned, picked the plate up and moved it over to his side of the table so it could cool. That was it... she began to say NO DADDY!! over and over and then when I told her hold on a minute it has to cool down she began to scream. People began to stare and my husband began to panic. He tore the sandwhich in half and handed it to her thinking she would stop and eat it, but no, she started to scream louder and cry out " NO CUT IT DADDY! NO CUT IT!" now people are giving us the look that says "Please shut that kid up!" so I bent over and whispered in her ear that I would have to take her out to the car if she didn't get quiet and then she threw her head back and began to yell " NO POP MY TAIL MOMMY! NO POP ME!" I never said I was going to pop her tail, but now I am getting the looks that say " you mean mother- spanking that little girl- how dare you" What to do?

We decided to completely ignore her. So we all bowed our heads and closed our eyes and Emma began to pray. Lydia continued to scream and when we were done we all began eating and talking and not even looking at Lydia. After what seemed like an hour, but was really about 2 minutes, Lydia began to eat and announced " Happy now, mommy!" She took several bites and all of a sudden she put down her fork, folded her hands and said "Oh MAN! Prayer!" She had been so caught up in her tantrum she didn't even know we had prayed. The people behind us began to snicker and I just smiled and thought "Thank you God for the sweet moments- to help balance out the stressful ones"

Though next time I think we will just make the grilled cheese at home:)

"So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it." Hebrews 4:16

0 comments:

Post a Comment